Chef Greg Schiesser from Indiana Downs in Shelbyville took home the top award at this year’s Taste of Elegance held on Tuesday, February 5 at the Indiana Roof Ballroom in Indianapolis. The premier chef’s competition – hosted by Indiana Pork in partnership with Indiana Farm Bureau, Indiana Soybean Alliance and the Indiana Corn Marketing Council – is a culinary event designed to inspire innovative and exciting ways to menu pork.
Each year, the Taste of Elegance program brings talented chefs together from across Indiana to compete in the prestigious event created to encourage chefs to use pork more frequently in creative, non-traditional ways. The event attracts more than 400 pork farmers, ag industry leaders, and dignitaries to downtown Indianapolis for an evening of elegance and celebration.
The 2013 Indiana Taste of Elegance featured some of the state’s top chefs, including:
- Chef Carlos Salazar – Oakley’s Bistro, Indianapolis
- Chef Sam Brown – Second Helpings, Indianapolis
- Chef Greg Schiesser – Indiana Downs, Shelbyville
- Chef Lucas Trinosky – The Chef’s Academy, Indianapolis
- Chef Josh Horrigan – The Chef’s Academy, Indianapolis
- Chef Craig Baker – Local Eatery & Pub, Westfield
- Chef Ricky Hatfield – Peterson’s Steak – Seafood – Spirits, Fishers
- Chef Roger Duran – Patrick’s Kitchen and Drinks, Zionsville
- Chef Grant Michael – Albatross Grille at Prairie View Golf Club, Carmel
- Chef Vlad Victor Bora – Hilton Hotels, Edinburgh
- Chef Chip Huckaby – Barto’s Banquets & Catering, Indianapolis
- Chef Alan Sternberg – Ivy Tech Community College, Muncie campus
Schiesser’s winning entrée was candied pork belly with bacon infused goat cheese. As the Taste of Elegance winner, Schiesser was presented with a check for $1,000 from Indiana Pork. He will represent Indiana at the Pork Summit hosted by National Pork Board in Napa Valley, CA.
Other winning chefs from the night include:
- Superior Chef Award: Grant Michael – Albatross Grille at Prairie View Golf Club, Carmel
- Premium Chef Award: Lucas Trinosky – The Chefs Academy, Indianapolis
- Wine Pairing Award: Lucas Trinosky – The Chef’s Academy, Indianapolis
- People’s Choice Award – Favorite Entrée: Carlos Salazar, Oakley’s Bistro, Indianapolis
- People’s Choice Award – Favorite Wine: Oliver Chambourcin – Oliver Winery, Bloomington
- People’s Choice Award – Favorite Display: Carlos Salazar – Oakley’s Bistro, Indianapolis
Source: Indiana Pork