Take the confusion out of planter settings while boosting your planting accuracy this spring. DuPont Pioneer has developed three calculators that can help eliminate some of the guesswork at planting time.
- With the online Planter Settings Calculator you can enter your planter type and the seed batch ID from your Pioneer seed bag tags, and you’ll get customized planter setting recommendations based on seed shape and size.
- The Pioneer® Field360™ Plantability App offers planting recommendations to mobile phone and tablet users after they scan the bar code on their Pioneer brand corn and sunflower seed tags and indicate their planter type. The tool is available for iPad®, iPhone®, and AndroidTM devices.
- The Pioneer Planting Rate Estimator allows users to examine historical yield response curves to help estimate an optimum planting rate for Pioneer corn products. The Planting Rate Estimator also provides hybrid-specific, customized planting rate recommendations based on your seed cost, grain price and expected yield. Simply enter the batch number of the seed you’re planting and select the appropriate planter model to calculate the optimum planting rate and net income per acre. The results reflect extensive research into hybrid response to varying plant populations.
As growers move from the shop to the field, DuPont Pioneer agronomists offer planter setup and in-field planting recommendations.
- Discuss seeding rates and row spacing with your Pioneer sales professional.
- Calibrate and adjust planters based on recommended fan speed or pressure, ground speed, and talc or graphite coverage.
- Utilize planter meters to maximize seed singulation and ensure spacing accuracy and targeted planting.
- Reduce tillage passes to preserve soil moisture.
- Use planter-mounted row cleaners to allow soil to warm and to move disease organisms away from the seed.
- Plant at least 1.5–2 inches deep to ensure that the nodal roots develop ¾ of an inch below the soil surface.
- Plant only when soil is near 50 degrees F and the forecast is for warm temperatures.
For more information, contact your Pioneer sales professional, or go to www.pioneer.com.