The Indiana State Department of Agriculture (ISDA) is making emergency cover crop cost share assistance available for landowners located in the D4 (exceptional drought) classified areas as of August 14, 2012, designated by the U.S. Drought Monitor Fast Track Designation process. These counties include: Clay, Daviess, Dubois, Gibson, Greene, Knox, Martin, Owen, Pike, Posey, Spencer, Sullivan, Vanderburgh, Vigo and Warrick. The Posey County Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) will administer the program on behalf of ISDA. “We hope these funds will help Hoosier landowners living in these areas better preserve and build the soil health that remains after this exceptionally challenging year and provide opportunity to livestock growers for an additional source of forage,” said Indiana Agriculture Director, Joe Kelsay. “We appreciate our SWCD partners donating time and resources to effectively assist our farmers.”
Landowners should contact District Coordinator, Jeri Ziliak at Jeri.email@example.com or 812-838-4191, ext. 3 to apply. Due to limited funding, cost share incentives will be awarded on a first come, first serve basis as long as the criteria below are met.
Landowners must meet the following criteria to be eligible for assistance:
- Must not be receiving cover crop drought assistance funds through NRCS’s Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program (WHIP), Environmental Quality Incentive Program (EQIP), or other related cover crop drought assistance program
- Land must be located in a D4 classified county as of August 14, 2012
- Cost share incentive will be a flat rate of $30 per acre
- · Cost share assistance is limited to 100 acres per producer
- Cover crop seeding may be grazed or cut for forage feed if needed after it has reached adequate growth
- Indiana NRCS Technical Guide specifications for cover crop seeding (340) or forage planting (512) will be followed depending on intended use
Cost share incentive may only be used for costs directly associated with establishment of cover crops such as seed, planting, etc.